Friday, January 11, 2008

Going With The flOw

Last night I thought I would give the PS3 a bit of a go. I haven't really gotten into it much, not many games have sparked my interest just yet, my small collection of Warhawk, F1 Championship and Time Crisis 4 haven't quite kept me as busy as I hoped.

While surfing the PS Store I noticed flOw I thought I would put my hard earned $12.95 AUD into this. I am not quite sure what I am doing or why, but its fun... well kind of...

You are what I presume to be a fish, in a world with lots of other little fish that you can eat. The more you eat the larger and more menacing you being to look. The "ocean" if I can call it that is divided into a number of layers stacked either above or below you. You travel between these layers by eating either a red fish (dive) or a blue fish (making you rise).

The game is completely controlled by the 6-Axis motion of the PS3 controller. This at first can be tedious and frustrating, however before you know it you can move very fluidly throughout the game world. I didn't notice how well the controls were until a realised that I wasn't thinking about where I was going anymore. Another interesting feature to the controller system is that a friend can simply turn on a second controller and jump into the game as another fish. A very neat and seamless feature that in the end does not really change the game play.

The game does not use menus or provide any real functionality. Its a giant virtual ocean that you control until you turn it off. Its more like what the fashion channel is for cable TV, something good to look at with some funky music but with no substance. This is the biggest gripe I have with the game. There is nothing much to do other than tilt the controller until you have consumed all that there is in each layer. You keep doing this until you unlock a new shape, just to do it all again for another 5 shapes.

flOw is a nice cheap simple game for the person who wants to relax and wind down from a long day. Its not for the gamer who loves their action epics.

6.5/10

No comments: